Networker

Re: [Networker] Write protected tape

2004-02-02 16:28:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Write protected tape
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 13:28:22 -0800
> >Is that actually possible?  I can't say I've really attempted to create
> >such a volume, but my impression is that recyc implies readonly.
>
> I believe I've seen it in the past, and in fact I found one tape in our
> jukebox right now that fits that description (at least in the GUI
> "Volumes" window).

I'd love to create such a tape and then have it be the only one for use.
But creating such a volume by making it recyclable will likely force it
read-only at the same time.

> - at this point, I think "Foo:001" can transition from "appen"
>   (appendable) to recyc (recycleable) without needing to pick up "(R)".
>
> I could be wrong though.  ;-)

My assumption (based on ancient experiece which I cannot repeat at the
moment), is that 'read-only' as a flag was not necessary for recycling.
If I mounted any recyclable tape, it would be marked as read-only at the
time of mounting.

Hmm...  Test system's not in good shape right now...  I don't think I
can test this directly for a while.
Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company