Networker

Re: [Networker] Solaris cannot see tape devices - HELP!!!

2004-02-02 10:35:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Solaris cannot see tape devices - HELP!!!
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:36:14 -0500
The machine in question is a Sun Ultra 10. It's a tower style box. It
does use PCI bus technology, but I guess it's still a Sparc so the
Adaptec card will not work for SCSI tape devices, at least not if we're
running Solaris 2.9 from what I'm seeing here from feedback on this
listing. The reason we wanted to test the Storagetek libary on this Sun
is because we've had nothing but problems running it on Linux -- all
kinds of SCSI problems, and we've gone through all the usual steps to
solve it. We're not sure if the problem is related to the Adaptec driver
on Linux or maybe the hardware itself, but if we could run the library
on a Sun for a while, and the problem went away then it would be safe to
say there's nothing wrong with the Storagetek L80 which means we might
still be able to run it under Linux but we'd need to pursue other
possibilities as to the source of the problem, but this would simplify
the possibilities once the library is removed from the list of suspects.
On the other hand, if the problem occurs on the Sun, or a similar one,
then the Storagetek cannot be ruled out as a possible culprit itself.

George