Networker

Re: [Networker] how to backup a mapped windows drive AND then restore it?

2004-01-30 14:50:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] how to backup a mapped windows drive AND then restore it?
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:49:55 +0100
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Evan Gold wrote:

EG> Hi All,
EG> I have been backing up my NAS device as detailed below,
EG> In legato admin, i had a client called "myclient" with the saveset of
EG> "all".
EG>
EG> I made another client, also called "myclient" with the saveset of
EG> "\\mynasdevice\myshare".
EG> the backups go fine, but i cant seem how to figure out how to restore the
EG> data or even which client i login to, to start the restore.
EG>
EG> when i login to "myclient" and run "nwrecover" it only shows the local
EG> drives that were backed up, it does NOT show the "\\mynasdevice\myshare" so
EG> i can restore from that.
EG>
EG> What am i doing wrong?
EG>
EG> any ideas?

This might not be what you're looking for, but we've been down this road
too, and we were not satisfied with the results. If my memory serves me
right, we had severe performance problems, and getting networker to only
backup changed files didn't work out well either.

I would rather suggest that you invest some license money in SnapIamge,
which then acts as the NDMP server. Then you configure a client for the
NAS, and let the NAS feed the NDMP server (which can be the same machine
as your backup server) with data that gets backed up on tape. This
ofcourse requires your NAS to be NDMP compatible. I'd recommend that you
run at least v3 of the protocol.

Note that there are some limitations with NAS/NDMP backups. These are all
mentioned in the documentation. I suggest you read it before making a
decision, and think about how that will impact your setup. :)

//Oscar