Networker

[Networker] Need to backup data on a Windows PC?

2004-01-20 11:53:26
Subject: [Networker] Need to backup data on a Windows PC?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:53:50 -0500
Hi,

We have some data on a windows box that we would like to backup using
NetWorker. This will be one shot backup. Should we install the client
there and do it that way or should be make the drive available to a Unix
box and back it up from there by forcing NetWorker to traverse the
non-local file system? I think we can do that. Seems that either
solution would work, but maybe data integrity would be better served
using first option?

We have SDLT and LTO tapes and we have a Sun primary server running
Linux 6.1.1. We do have licenses to support Windows clients and we do
back several up now, but also have a few questions as listed below.

It's like 8 gig of data total, and we'd be holding onto it for maybe 5
years or so? Don't have archive module but don't care since we can
write-protect tape and set manual recycle and take off site for safe
keeping. Could also back up client index and recover at any point in
future to browse back? Maybe set browse and retention time for 5 years
from now, back up client, and then remove client? In future, could
re-create client, recover index and browse any time between now and 5
years since browse time will never change before then? Could also
manually change browse and retention time after backup? Seems no big
deal to have such long times set as this client will only be backed up
once.

Really just curious about issues or concerns with either option or if
anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks.

George