Networker

Re: [Networker] both SDLT 220 and 320 Drives in my library

2003-12-19 01:56:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] both SDLT 220 and 320 Drives in my library
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:57:01 -0800
> I know if we label a tape on a SDLT220 drive it will be readable and
> writable on a 320 drive.  With that one would think if all the
> tapes are labeled to be a 220 then all works.  Apparently what your seeing
> is that a 320 drive  will not label (or relabel) a tape at 220 density.  I was
> told from our Quantum engineer that there was no way to make a 320
> initialize a tape to be 220.   I think this is what your seeing on a
> relabel.   I had thought one could just pick a different tape density in
> Solaris when talking to a SDLT320 that would be 220 mode; say /dev/rmt/lbn
> but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Too bad,  if that worked one could
> run the SDLT320 drive in that mode until all drives in the library were
> upgraded to 320.

I don't see why that won't work.  The normal/compressed density codes
for the 220 are 0x90 and 0x91.  The 320 supports those along with 0x92
and 0x93.

What's your st.conf settings for your SDLT?  Using a device that points
to 0x91 should work just fine.

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company