Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape Positioning by Record is Disabled on AIT Drives??????

2003-12-14 17:03:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape Positioning by Record is Disabled on AIT Drives??????
From: Matt Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:03:07 -0500
Shelley L. Shostak wrote:

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Yura Pismerov wrote:

Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape Positioning by Record is Disabled on AIT
   Drives??????

Chad Smykay wrote:

I am sorry to say my friend that re-labeling does not suffice.  When you
"re-label" a volume in networker it does not write back over the labeled
block size set for that tape.  OHHH GOD HOW I WISH IT DID!  In fact I am
planning on putting in an RFE for this.  I mean if the Legato is a tape
backup software would it not be nice if you could tell it or check off an
option like "Re-write label."  That would just make to much sense.
Otherwise we have been doing the same thing you have.  Rewind tape tar some
data to it then have NetWorker re-label the volume.

   Why tar ?
   What's wrong with /etc/LGTOuscsi/erase ?
   man erase...

Well, some implementations of "mt" give an erase option and it does just that;
it erases the ENTIRE tape.  It is much easier to use tar or dd to overwrite
the beginning of the tape.

Shelley

There was some discussion of this some months ago along with a
discussion of stinit.def on Linux servers.   I thought the consensus
was that if you wrote a tape under one stinit regime, then relabled
under a different stinit regime (e.g. I went from no stinit to the one
recommended for ait-3) that the new tape would be labeled with
the characteristics in place at the time of the new labeling.
Is that wrong?  (Whenever I put in a tape that was labeled under the
old stinit regime, Networker complained.   It has never complained about
relabeled tapes.)

                                               Matt Temple

Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/632-4012
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht AT research.dfci.harvard DOT edu
44 Binney Street,  JF 314     http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!