Networker

Re: [Networker] Big endian versus little endian?

2003-12-11 19:03:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] Big endian versus little endian?
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 18:03:38 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Big endian versus little endian?, George...:

>Tim,
>
>I agree that a DR approach seems best and should work, but you did do
>this between Tru64 and Linux which are both little endian. Have you ever
>done it between different endians?

That's kind of a loaded question, wouldn't you say?  ;-)

No, I haven't converted NetWorker server from one endian to another.
However, most of the emails I've seen on the list have been from people
on HP-UX or AIX that want to go to Solaris, and those are all big-endian
OSes (at least, on the primary CPU for the platform) and all have about
the same amount of flexibility as far as data sizes (i.e. they all
support either ILP32 or LP64 "modes").

In your case, you would be going big endian to little endian.  If you
do your migration, you would definitely be doing the procedure that some
people have said doesn't/can't work.

> Maybe that could pose a problem, but
>not sure how you'd know. I mean, how do people know there's a problem?
>Do they attempt a recovery or they try to querty the media database and
>it fails or gives them something odd? My concern would be that we would
>do this an not have any way of knowing that there were problems.

If a consistency check works and things like mminfo and nsrinfo work and
return the expected output, then I would say you're in the clear.  ;-)

>Guess I thought it was the indexes that were the problem, but guess the
>media indexes and or database is the real issue. I stand corrected.
>Would be curious to see how this might play out between Solaris and
>Linux.

If you have some time and the interest, there's no reason why you couldn't
actually try it.  All you need is a Linux box with some space for indexes
and that has access to a tape drive that can read your current server's
most recent bootstrap.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu