Networker

Re: [Networker] Running the library picker/changer on its own SCSI channel?

2003-12-09 18:05:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Running the library picker/changer on its own SCSI channel?
From: Olaf Zaplinski <o.zaplinski AT BROADNET-MEDIASCAPE DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 00:07:38 +0100
Hi George,

I can not tell much but my own Storagetek experience, here we have an L700e.

When the jukebox is connected to the same HBA (Adaptec, 160 MB/s capable) as
our two tapes on the second SCSI chain, then the 1st tape is logged on as 40
MB/s + 8 bit, the second one as 80 MB/s + 16 bit. The latter one is correct.
When I connect only those two drives to the Adaptec, everything is fine.

This is why we drive the JB device with its own host adapter (Adaptec) and
the two SCSI tape drive chains on others (LSI 53c1030). The L700's firmware
is brand new, we had it serviced last week.

So I think it is better to spend some money for a host adapter that is only
connected to the jukebox/the picker. Since there is no heavy SCSI traffic, I
guess that any 32 bit PCI card that can do LVD would do the job.

Regards
Olaf