Networker

Re: [Networker] index restores

2003-12-05 05:51:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] index restores
From: "Willems, Tom" <Tom.Willems AT FUJITSU-SIEMENS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:49:27 +0100
Hi Kris,

Here are my two cents on this one:

>From the nsrim man page:

"The nsrim program is used to manage the NetWorker online file and media
indexes. Normally, nsrim is
invoked by nsrmmdbd(1m) at startup, by the savegrp(1m) command on completion,
and by nsrd(1m)
when Remove oldest cycle is selected from the NetWorker Administrator program.
nsrim is not normally
run manually. However, the command's modes can be modified such that normal
users may run the command
while retaining root privileges; see nsr(1m) for more details."

and

"nsrim uses policies to determine how to manage online entries. (See
nsr_policy(5), nsr_client(5), and the Legato NetWorker Administrator's Guide
for an explanation of index policies). Entries that have been in an online file
index longer than the period specified by the respective client's browse policy
are removed. Save sets that have existed longer than the period specified by a
client's retention policy are marked as recyclable in the media index."

-------

So I would say it depends:

- If nsrim -X is invoked BEFORE you save your indexes at night, all savesets
that have passed their browse policy will be removed. In this case, you would
backup a "clean" index.

- In the other case, when nsrim -X runs AFTER you save the index, you will also
retain the "old" information on tape.

Hope this helps,
Tom.

Tom Willems
IT Consultant - LCNA & LCNS
FSC Professional Services
Fujitsu Siemens Computers S.A.

20, rue des Peupliers
L-2328 Luxembourg-Hamm
Luxemburg

Phone: +352-26099-891
Fax: +352-26099-895
Email: <mailto:tom.willems AT fujitsu-siemens DOT com>