Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice on a specs for a Sun

2003-12-03 03:22:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice on a specs for a Sun
From: George Scott <George.Scott AT ITS.MONASH.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 19:17:49 +1100
George,

> Additional needs:
> We will need enough SCSI slots for at least 2-3 SCSI cards, and we will
> also need to be able to run 2 ethernet cards in each Sun.

I guess that those are "PCI" slots...

> Can anyone offer any recommendations or advice on a suitable Sun? I'm
> looking to save money where I can (gee, shoulda bought a PC. LOL!), but
> I just need a recommended model(s), so I can work up a price quote to my
> boss real quick.

One of my servers is a 480 (w/ 2 900 MHz CPU's).  Gives me zero
problems.  I use it to drive 6 DLT7000's (with each on its own SCSI
bus).  It has two integrated (on mother board) gigabit ethernet ports
and space internally for two FC disks.

If I had to reduce costs I would look at the 440.

If I needed more horsepower and could withstand the extra cost I'd look
at the 880.

George.
--
George Scott           George.Scott AT its.monash DOT edu
Systems Programmer, IT Services, Monash University