Networker

Re: [Networker] [Fwd: Re: [Networker] Need advice on mminfo command]

2003-11-26 04:30:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] [Fwd: Re: [Networker] Need advice on mminfo command]
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:54:25 +0000
George Sinclair wrote:
The reason I was concerned about recyclable versus recoverable is
because we never recycle tapes that have these savesets on them. Once
they're backed up and cloned, we will never back them up again, and
there are no plans to recycle the tapes ever. So, at some point, the
saveset will be marked as recyclable, but it would be recoverable for a
year prior.

George, if you are never going to recycle these save sets, why let them
become recyclable? Why not just write them in the first place with a
longer retention, then you won't risk them getting recycled
accidentally? You can change the retention on existing save sets using
nsrmm, but you might have a problem with the ones that have already
become recyclable.

Also, I have seen some cases where a saveset was flagged as
recyclable because of some premature abort or SCSI bus reset or some
such thing but could never really pin point what exactly caused it, but
I know it was only a few hours (days at the most) old.
Wouldn't this save set be marked as aborted, or incomplete?