Networker

Re: [Networker] AIT-3 capacity

2003-11-25 04:31:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] AIT-3 capacity
From: Howard Martin <howard.martin AT EDS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 04:31:51 -0500
Capacity of a compressed tape is dependant on the data being backed up and
the compression algorithm (which can be different on different drives),
with LTO-1 we typically get about 2:1 compression on fileservers and 4:1 on
database type data, with one database I backed up 600GB on one 100G tape
when the database had just been set up it later fell to the 400G region.
Conversly on a standalone DLT8000 I have seen it report compression of
0.9:1!
You are not doing anything wrong the drive manufacturers give the native
capacity and a compressed capacity but they can only assume that any
particular back up will achieve this.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:40:39 -0500, Matt Temple
<mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU> wrote