Networker

Re: [Networker] jbconfig after restart Server

2003-11-13 18:55:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] jbconfig after restart Server
From: "Shive, Matt" <Matt.Shive AT BDK DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:53:42 -0500
Along the lines of what Sumash said earlier in the thread....

I am assuming these devices are fiber attached SAN devices.

This issue can be solved in one of 2 ways to my knowledge.
1. The easiest solution is to have an intelligent mapping device between the
library and the host.  Vendors have different names, but they are fc/scsi
bridges at heart.  Most newer models have 'mapping' capabilities which will
present the 'map' of devices in the same order everytime, rather than
allowing the OS (Windows) to interrogate the initiators for targets thus
resulting in seemingly random results. Because the 'map' is not on the host,
it will persist between reboots.

2.  You can handle this issue on the server at the HBA level.  This is
similar to setting the map on the fc/scsi bridge above, but at the
individual HBA.  Again, you basically set the order you want in what is
called 'persistent bindings' with most vendor's HBAs.  These bindings will
persist between reboots.

3.  In more complicated scenarios it may require a combination of the above
2 methods.  Particularly if you have drives from more than one library being
presented to any one host.

Good Luck,