Networker

[Networker] AW: [Networker] AW: [Networker] W2K / NW 6.1.3: no backup of DFS?

2003-11-04 11:56:05
Subject: [Networker] AW: [Networker] AW: [Networker] W2K / NW 6.1.3: no backup of DFS?
From: Hrvoje Crvelin <Hcrvelin AT ORCHESTRA DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 17:53:18 +0100
Olaf,

My test was also with win2k German (at that time Sp3).  However, my machine was
not AD.  What kind of restore did you perfomed; auth or non auth since this is
AD,
but that should not matter I believe?  Did you open the case with support?  I'm
quite
sure that if this is something generic that fix should come fast - but, I did
it in past
and it works so something below the surface has to be.

When I said MS docs I was not talking to Q article, but general docs (sorry,
but I do
not have links anymore).  Wordpad (and bunch of other files covered by SYSTEM
FILES
saveset) are what your OS finds critical to it.  If you remove them OS will
bring them back
for you from another location (usually WINNT\system32\dllcache).  I never did a
test of
that kind with wordpad, but I did with notepad on the other hand.  If I
remember correctly,
when I did a backup of notepad.exe it would say that it has been backed up but
the size
was 0 (it was also in index db so one may get wrong impression there unless he
knows it).
When I did a backup of SYSTEM FILES I could see it really being backed up.  Of
course,
to make a restore, you must restore whole SYSTEM FILES and sometimes this means
all SYSTEM savesets and not rarely that would lead to restore of whole machine.
 However,
if something is screw up in that area I would gladly do it anyway.

As I said, I can't find the link in my favourites, but there were several about
these files.
What SYSTEM FILES covers is what your OS covering by so called SFP components
(System File Protection) and system boot files. (which reminds me that SYS
Files and
SYS state should be ALWAYS backed up and restored together!).  And that's were
your
wordpad should be in the first place.  Note sure why it doesn't work for you.

One thing to check, if you did a restore from GUI you should have a log from
that restore
seesion.  I don't remember if system files are listed ther, but I hope yes.
Check it out.
Do you see wordpad?  I'm not sure if this is correct way as one part of the
files is restored
via _NSR_* files which do get replaced during next reboot.

As for DFS; as you said it says "DFS destination directories' separately.".  C:
is not destination
directory here, but c:\foo is.  In release supplement this is covered AFAIK.

And now, time to go home ;)

p.s. If it really doesn't work for you, could be either:
a) something done wrong
b) Legato
c) Microsoft

I strongly suggest to open an indicent case with your support to clear this.
Reproductiion of
that should not take too much.

Cheers,
Hrvoje