Networker

Re: [Networker] SDLT tape reliability.

2003-10-29 17:15:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] SDLT tape reliability.
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:15:24 -0500
My experience with SDLT has been very good so far; however, we've not
recycled very many of these. I've had rather poor success, however, with
LTO. I think part of the problem, at least with the case of the LTO, is
that we still have some kind of unresolved SCSI issue that causes the
SCSI bus to reset or do something weird wherein NetWorker totally loses
all comminucation with the picker from the affected LTO library. Often,
but not always, one or more LTO tapes will be prematurely marked full as
a result because NetWorker is erring on the side of caution and
purposely marking the tape full since it doesn't know how to interpret
the SCSI bus situation. It just says: "well, I see something I don't
like, and I don't know if it's the drive, the tape, or what, but I'm not
gonna risk using using this tape any more.", never mind the fact that
the tape may be perfectly fine. I've not seen to many similar situations
with the SDLT tapes because that library doesn't seem to be affected by
this, never mind the fact that both of them are on the same store node
server. Hmm... I would check to see that nothing strange is happening on
the SCSI bus. A tape that get's marked full prematurely is often a sign
of a bus reset or some other SCSI issue.

George