Networker

Re: [Networker] rlim_fd_cur on Solaris and nsrexecd

2003-10-20 12:59:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] rlim_fd_cur on Solaris and nsrexecd
From: "Reed, Ted G II [ITS]" <ted.reed AT MAIL.SPRINT DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:57:35 -0500
Depending on what version you are running, setting the ulimit anywhere (OS or
startup script) may not have any effect.  We were running 6.1.1 Build 238 and
we were always hitting the 'too many open files' error.  Changing both OS level
of Open_Files and using ulimit in Networker start|stop....neither had any
effect.  I was told/read that it may have been HOW and WHERE the networker
binaries were compiled.  Apparently, the basic solars binaries were built on
Solaris 2.5/2.6 for backward compatibility.  As a result, some of the enhanced
features of Solaris 7+ were not compiled into the binaries.  In the thread I
read (I believe on this list or Tek-Tips.com), the person had Legato provide a
Solaris 8 compiled version of the binary and then was able to do the ulimit
increase.  I have no idea how that may impact Legato v7, since I believe they
dropped at least Solaris 2.5 support, if not 2.6.
--Ted