Networker

Re: [Networker] Archiving and Pools; NDMP and Pools

2003-10-20 11:32:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Archiving and Pools; NDMP and Pools
From: Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:31:11 -0400
>> If you plan to send backups from the NetApp via a LAN to the NetWorker
>> Server and on to its autochanger's tape drives, you'll need to
>> purchase and install the NetWorker SnapImage Module (you need the NDMP
>> tape service provided by this software bundle).

>Why do I need this module?  Our SE didn't mention this.  We bought the
>NDMP licenses, but nothing was ever said about a SnapImage module.

The NetWorker Server has the ability to CONTROL NDMP operations.  BUT (key
point here) NetWorker server/storage node software does not have the ability
to RECEIVE/SEND an NDMP tape data stream.  This requires an NDMP tape
service.  'Basic' NetWorker software does not have this functionality.  But,
by installing the NDMP tape service that comes bundled with the NetWorker
SnapImage Module, you can add this capability to your NetWorker environment.

As others have noted, read the documentation carefully.  The only hard part
(IMHO) was understanding that the NDMP tape service has its own
username/password (if you use encrypted passwords), and that this is
separate from the operating system username/password mechanism.

When you create a NDMP client (for, for instance, a filer), you use the
filer's username/password in the NetWorker client resource.

When you create a NDMP-controlled tape device (for, for instance, a tape
drive attached to your backup server or storage node), you use the NDMP tape
service's (running on the NetWorker server or storage node)
username/password in the NetWorker device resource.

Hope this helps!
tl

Terry Lemons
CLARiiON Applications Integration Engineering
        EMC²
where information lives

4400 Computer Drive, MS D239
Westboro MA 01580