Networker

Re: [Networker] Can't get index to backup tocustom pool

2003-10-17 13:49:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can't get index to backup tocustom pool
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:47:52 -0400
I have come to the conclusion that it is not possible. In other words,
you cannot send a client index to its own pool without also causing one
of the following things to occur, neither of which are desireable in our
case:

A. sending all other client indexes to this same pool (this happens when
you fail to select a group in the pool configuration window -- ideally,
a group that only contains the desired client)

B. sending the server's index to this same pool and causing the server
to also back itself up, although not necessarily to this pool. In fact,
in our case, it sent it's backups to the standard pool (that's good) but
wanted to send its index to this "new" pool.

The fact is that if you attempt to avoid A. by selecting a group,
NetWorker will then complain that the server MUST be a member of this
group and will not let you save the changes to the pool until you have
done so. After you add the server to the group and then select the group
in the pool you will be doomed because then the server will back itself
up every time you run this group, and, of course, will send its index
here. Kinda sucks, but that's NetWorker for you.

George