Networker

Re: [Networker] What do you backup on the desktop?

2003-10-17 11:42:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] What do you backup on the desktop?
From: Craig Ruefenacht <Craig.Ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:40:04 -0600
Hi,

At all my employers over the past 15 years, we had a policy in place that
basically said that whatever a user wanted backed up needed to be placed on
specific network drives (Novell, Windows, NFS, AFS, Samba, depending on
employer), and the servers where those network drives were physically
located were then backed up.  The only time we'd backup a desktop machine
was when we were going to re-install the desktop (format drive, install
clean OS, apps).  If you don't have a server where you can do this (and
backing up the desktop is the only way to get the data backed up), I would
create a policy that defines where users should save data on the desktop
machine, and then backup those directories.  On a Windows based desktop, its
often easier to simply reinstall the OS and apps from CD and user data from
tape than it would be to install an OS and then recover everything from
tape, which is why we don't backup desktops.

Again, depending on employer, the retention period varied greatly.  At one
employer, we did a monthly full save and kept them around forever (limited
only by the shelf-life of the media) and did daily incrementals, which were
overwritten each month.  At my current employer, we keep data around for
about 2 months, and send a once-a-month-full offsite for legal purposes,
which is kept for 3 years.

--
Craig Ruefenacht
UNIX Administrator