Networker

Re: [Networker] savegrp for clients

2003-10-17 11:42:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] savegrp for clients
From: Philippe Michel <Philippe.Michel AT THALES-IS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:30:27 +0200
Chris.Campbell AT FAC DOT COM wrote:

> I didn;t think that savegrp was available for the clients... only on the
> server..
>
> What I want to do, is from the client, kick off savegrp, and not use save
> or savefs (because I don't want to list paths, I want them to be read from
> the group and client control)
>
> What we do now (that I *just* found out..and want to put a stop to
> quickly), is do something like 'rsh server -l root savegrp group`......
> Yeah, I could setup some shared keys and use ssh to do the remote call, but
> once again, my question stands...is there a savegrp that can
> can called *from* the client....

If the user on the client is a NetWorker administrator (user@client in
nwadmin|Server|Server setup|Administrator), you can use nsradmin :

nsradmin -s <server> -i - <<EOF
. type: NSR group;
name: <group>
update autostart: "start now"
quit
EOF

The drawback is that you cannot (at least not easily) use the options available
in savegrp (-c <client> for instance).

This was discussed on this list just a few days ago (although not specifically
to start a backup from somewhere else than the server).