Networker

Re: [Networker] Novell NDPS - Slow Backups

2003-10-15 09:31:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Novell NDPS - Slow Backups
From: Stephen Fouchek <stephen.fouchek AT GLO.STATE.TX DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:29:54 -0500
John:

We used to see that kind of backup speed before we switched over to
Gigabit connections.  Prior to the Gigabit connections we had to force
the duplex settings on the Novell client and the port on the switch to
which it was connected.

I know this doesn't answer your question, and do hope that you can find
an answer to your issues.  Good Luck.
Steve

>>> <jgowing AT worldonline.co DOT za> 10/15/03 12:49AM >>>
Hi Stephen,

I'm afraid I don't have any coment on your problem, but rather a
question.

You mention that you normally achieve throughputs of 4-7MB/sec from
your
Netware client (4.12g) to you Unix backup server.

May I ask if you had to do anything special to achieve this
throughput?

I have just added a simple Novell 6 client, 6 disk Array, Dedicated
Gige
BackupLan, to an existing SOlaris Networker 613 server, Win2K
Dedicated
storage node with 2 x SDLT Neo2000 library.
Unix & Win clients backing up at 6-10MB/sec. Netware box does 1MB/sec
with
client originated backup, and <100KB/s with scheduled Networker Group
Backup.

Thanks
John Gowing
Source Consulting