Networker

Re: [Networker] ADIC Scalar 10K and Windows storage node

2003-10-03 10:29:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] ADIC Scalar 10K and Windows storage node
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:28:36 -0400
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:11:00 -0400, Teresa Biehler <tpbsys AT RIT DOT EDU> wrote:

>We are zoning - I just forgot to mention that.  Here are the details.
>
>Our SAN is set up as two fabrics.  The Sc 10K has 4 drives attached to
>each SNC.  Each SNC is on one fabric.  The NW server is attached to both
>fabrics and can see all 8 drives.  Each NW storage node is attached to
>both fabrics and can only access the 6 shared drives (4 from one SNC, 2
>on the other).
>
>Zoning is done by WWN.  The zones are set up from each server to the
>SNCs.  The NW server is included in two zones - one for each SNC.  Each
>storage node is included in two zones as well - one for each SNC.
>
>When we reboot one of the storage nodes while the NW server is doing a
>backup, the tape rewinds and overwrites the files that had existed
>previously on the tape.
>
>Do you have any suggestions?

Hi Teresa,

Some time ago I did some extensive testing of a SAN environment that
includes Solaris and Win2K servers. I was well aware of the potential
problems when rebooting a machine on the SAN.  I did a lot of tests with
rebooting during backups, and could not simulate the problem I had
anticipated. One thing you might look at is SCSI reserve/release settings.
On Solaris this is configured in st.conf. In Windows there is no
reserve/release, it's just not a concept that Windows understands.

I was originally using QL2200F cards on Windows, but I abandoned these
because there was no support for persistent binding in the driver. I hear
that this has now been introduced, and about time too. I gave up on these
and installed Emulex cards, LP8000 and LP9002, and I liked these a lot
better. You could try Emulex cards, you may not have the reset problem - I
didn't no matter how much I tried. And a couple of HBAs might be quite a
cheap solution compared to hours of problem-solving.