Networker

Re: [Networker] Netware backup slow throughput

2003-10-01 02:12:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Netware backup slow throughput
From: "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen AT KVAERNER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 02:11:45 -0400
Librado Pamintuan wrote:

>We have 4 Dell servers running Netware v6x O/S. During incremental or
>level backups, the throughput is normal or as expected, but when we run
>FULL backups, the throughput drops down to 400 to 800 KB/s.
> [SNIP]
>Environment:
>Server NetWorker v6.1.3 on Unix AIX v4.3.3
>Clients: DELL NetWare servers v6, Networker v4.2
>Tape Library: StorageTek 9714 with 6 DLT 7000 tape drives

You probably have an old gigabit ethernet card on the Unix server.

The problem is basically that there is no way to tell Networker on Netware
to use a large (60kB) TCP window.

The server wants large TCP windows, but netware (not unreasonable) uses a
smaller one. This means that in the end, data is received by the server on
tcp timeouts which is every 200ms.

You can fix this by turning off the high performance function on the
ethernet card. Or you replace the card altogether with a more modern one.

greetings,