Networker

[Networker] Exabyte 110 L with LTO-2 on solaris 8 with NW 6.1.2

2003-09-30 05:30:49
Subject: [Networker] Exabyte 110 L with LTO-2 on solaris 8 with NW 6.1.2
From: "Maarten Boot (CWEU-USERS/CWNL)" <maarten.boot AT NL.COMPUWARE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:29:19 +0200
Hi List,

I am now the prowd administrator of 3 brand new Exabyte 110L with LTO-2
tape-drives (scsi).

Currently we run Solaris 8 and Networker 6.1.2.

I am trying to find out if I have to upgrade to support LTO-2.

In the networker compatibility matrix for 6.x.x I found support for IBM LTO-2
as of 6.x.x (that is the drive inside the exabyte, inquiry gives me IBM
ULTRIUM-TD2. But in the software itself there is only LTO-Ultrium as a media
type mentioned when defining the jukebox with jbconfig, No LTO-2 there.

Solaris 8 does seem to support in the /kernel/drv/st driver this drive as i
found a reference on a mailing list how to check for that:

strings /kernel/drv/st | grep -i ultrium will show you what is recognized by
the st driver as a native supported device by sun. However that same posting
also mentioned a line to put into the st.conf file.
This makes me confused as I thought that native supported drive types do not
have to be specified in the st.conf file.
The latest st.conf on the legato site does not mention this drive either.

When testing the drive it reports being full after 28 Gb that seems poorly
compared to the 200Gb it can have without compression.

In short I am puzzled it I maybe have to upgrade to Solaris 9 (no problem with
that) , and Networker 7.0 ( in my opinion to unstable as yet ).

Or am I overlooking someting obvious that is somehere mentioned in a manual
somehere.

In for some advice,
Maarten