Networker

Re: [Networker] FW: NW 7.1 release

2003-09-29 13:44:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] FW: NW 7.1 release
From: "Shelley L. Shostak" <sls AT QSTECH DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:26:51 -0700
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Oscar Olsson wrote:

> Subject: Re: [Networker] FW: NW 7.1 release
>
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Ed Skolnik wrote:
>
> ES> Well I partially agree with what was said so far, but Legato is a
> ES> business and if you don't pay for support you shouldn't get the
> ES> patches.  It's only fair to the companies who actually pay for
> ES> support.  The TEch Dialog should be updated to show what patches are
> ES> out there (via logon and password) like Sun doees (free viewing, but
> ES> patches require a account woth a password),
>
> On the other hand, if Legato releases software that contain bugs that
> threaten normal operation of the software or security vulnerabilities,
> these patches should always be accessible, regardless of the customer has
> bought support or not. That's just common sense. All other major venors do
> this, like Microsoft, Cisco, Sun etc. Its more annoying for paying
> customers to have a hassle when they want patches, than letting the
> freeloaders download them as well. Paying customers do continue to pay for
> software for more reasons than just plain functionality. Updates, support
> and stability of every release is always a major factor as well.

Read the fine print.  It almost always absolves the software vendors from any
liability due to "bugs".  It is not uncommon to see free security patches.

I agree that the Legato web site is poor.  I like NetApp's web site.  If
Legato had more information available, they might be able to avoid some
support calls.

This list is a great place to learn and get help.

Shelley