Networker

Re: [Networker] FW: NW 7.1 release

2003-09-29 13:08:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] FW: NW 7.1 release
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:06:52 +0200
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Ed Skolnik wrote:

ES> Well I partially agree with what was said so far, but Legato is a
ES> business and if you don't pay for support you shouldn't get the
ES> patches.  It's only fair to the companies who actually pay for
ES> support.  The TEch Dialog should be updated to show what patches are
ES> out there (via logon and password) like Sun doees (free viewing, but
ES> patches require a account woth a password),

On the other hand, if Legato releases software that contain bugs that
threaten normal operation of the software or security vulnerabilities,
these patches should always be accessible, regardless of the customer has
bought support or not. That's just common sense. All other major venors do
this, like Microsoft, Cisco, Sun etc. Its more annoying for paying
customers to have a hassle when they want patches, than letting the
freeloaders download them as well. Paying customers do continue to pay for
software for more reasons than just plain functionality. Updates, support
and stability of every release is always a major factor as well.

And in my own case, I do have update service on the legato system that I
am administering. But I still haven't found an easy way to browse and
download patches and version updates. The updates available are painfully
obsolete. And no, I haven't received a media kit for legato 7.1 yet, but
really its beside the point. If I need software, I should be able to
download it off the web with minimal effort. It is (still) 2003.

//Oscar