Networker

Re: [Networker] Faster Cloning. By saveset or volume?

2003-09-29 12:13:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Faster Cloning. By saveset or volume?
From: Ed Skolnik <eskolnik AT INTERPUBLIC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:09:15 -0500
George,
I quote Legato PSE

" He said that, from a performance perspective, it's best to make sure that the
fragments (head, middle section or tail) are on
contiguous media files on the volume.  Tape rewind and positioning is expensive
and detrimental for performance and should be
avoided during the read part of the clone. Needless to say if all the fragments
are contiguous on the same volume (no spanning) the
search for the segments and clone would be the fastest.   "

What I do is clone complete saveset's 1st by volume (mminfo -omo ) with the
sumflags = c  , then I clone any saveset that spans
volumes.

mminfo -t${fromdate} -omo -q"$minusq" -r'ssid,sumflags' | tail +2 | \
   while read ssid sumflag; do
    sumflag1=$(echo $sumflag | cut -c1)
     case ${sumflag1} in
       "c")
            # The complete saveset is on this volume, so do it 1st
              echo $ssid >> $tmpssidonly
              ;;
        "h")
            #  Only the header is on this volume