Networker

[Networker] How to search for files in an index?

2003-09-29 11:01:51
Subject: [Networker] How to search for files in an index?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:00:21 -0400
Hi,

I was looking for a file to recover for a user. They didn't know when
they last deleted it. Only the parent file system is backed up, not the
full file pathname. I ran nwrecover from the client and cd'd to the
user's directory and tried the "search" tool under nwrecover, but it
said no matches were found. I even tried wild cards like *.mdb in case
the file was spelled differently. No luck finding the file, but they
were certain that it should be there. Finally, the user said they
remembered accessing it back on like Septemeber 5. So I an nwrecover
again and found it when I changed the browse time to Sep 5. Also, found
it on the 6, 7 and 8th but not after. Two questions:

1. Does the search tool limit you to that date or later?

2. Is there a way to search on a file name if you don't know when it was
backed up, but you do know that it's within the browse policy, so it
would be somewhere in the index? Do you have to manually select each day
and search?

Seems to me that the search tool only works for the date that you browse
to and is limited to that date.

Thanks.

George