Networker

Re: [Networker] directive question: skipping all "oradata" dirs o n any filesystem

2003-09-26 04:53:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] directive question: skipping all "oradata" dirs o n any filesystem
From: Riaan Louwrens <riaanl AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:04:29 +0200
Hi Phillip,

Your directive has 2 bits the first < / > (or < "full path") is where the
directive is applied (so if you put the root in it will apply "from" root
down thre tree of your OS).

Secondly the + skip: *.dbf *.bat *.whatever section

+ means that it recursively applies the directive from there onwards
(typically all directories below root or below whichever path you
specified).

Skip obviously means "dont backup" and then you van specify what to skip -
whith spaces inbetween to seperate the various files.

Example - I have a directive that skips all "special" data - of files which
I then backup later using Legato's modules (i.e. exchange, oracle, sap, sql
etc).

< / >
+skip: *.log *.edb *.mdb

(etc if you get what I mean).

Downside to this is if there is something that has a file with the same
extension that is NOT backed up when doing a "module" backup you dont backup
that file ... risk ...

You can as well go into your user manager on the specific client and goto
"local directives" and DESELECT the files you dont want to backup. This is
more intensive - as you have to do it for each client - but safer.

Its a long winded reply, but its Friday and I am looking for "easy" things
to take up my time ... ;p

Regards,

Riaan