Networker

[Networker] Question on Index Backup and Expiry

2003-09-19 01:28:10
Subject: [Networker] Question on Index Backup and Expiry
From: Monit Kapoor <mkapoor AT CADENCE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:57:43 +0530
Hello everyone,

I need advice on the following ?

I have a  couple of critical client's ( approx 100 ) on my backup server
which are
backed full once a Month and incr other days, with Saturday and Sunday
as skip.
Now as part of the DR readiness program, i am supposed to perform a
Full backup each
weekend for these systems on to a seperate Tape pool.Here's how i have
setup:

1. I run the weekend full backups without index saves.The Bootstrap is
also backed to this Tape
   pool to assist in recovery at remote site.However indexes are not
backed because if i
   create indexes for each weekend run, then i end up screwing my
regular incr
   backups as on monday they'll end up using each Sunday's (level 0)
indexes for finding and backing
   changed files.

Now Since I dont create any indexes for this DR run , i am unable to
perofrm file-by-file browsing
for recoveries without having to scan all tapes.

What i need help on:

1. Is there any way i could create these Indexes for Weekend Backup and
backup this run's indexes
   to this DR tape pool only ?

2. Once this activity has been done ,can i  purge the local disk index
by defining a very short expiry period
    ( 0 or 1 day, i am not sure ) befor next run for these clients ?

Appreciate any assistance from you folks.

Rgds,

Monit