Networker

Re: [Networker] Clone Problem

2003-09-03 13:28:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Clone Problem
From: "Shelley L. Shostak" <sls AT QSTECH DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:28:24 -0700
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Renty, Bart wrote:

> Subject: Re: [Networker] Clone Problem
>
> If you relabel the original volume via the Networker Administrator
> interface or via a relabel command, it will also remove the index
> infromation for the cloned volume.  You first have to delete the volume,
> and then relabel it.
>
> I'm using the following commands to prevent deletion of the index
> information for the cloned volume :
>
> nsrmm -d -y                     -s server volume
> nsrjb -L -j jukebox -Y -b Tmp -s server volume
> nsrmm -o recyclable -y          -s server volume

I had read on this list about recycling a cloned volume deleting the index
entries for the original savesets.  I tested this and in fact it did.  But you
have to be very careful about semantics here.  The action of Volumes ->
Change Mode -> Recyclable on a volume is what trashes the savesets.  I make no
claim on what happens when you do Volume -> Remove.  And your direction of
"delete the volume" indeed does match the man page for nsrmm, but it is not
specific about what happens when you do that with a clone tape.

As Davina pointed out, you can relabel a clone tape and the original savesets
are not affected.  I tested this out yesterday as it is much easier than
waiting for my script to delete the individual ssid/cloneid on a tape.

Shelley