Networker

Re: [Networker] Converting drive to NDMP service

2003-08-26 09:23:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Converting drive to NDMP service
From: Aurea Cruz <aurecruz AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:23:02 -0500
Hi Stan,

I have tried to edit directly on nsr.res and
nsrjb.res, but I remember we had to be very careful.
You need a good overview of it: print the resources
from both files and mark the entries that refer to the
device you are changing. there are actually only a few
changes you need to make.

What I did was to stop the services, make a fresh copy
of nsr/res dir, and start editing files.

on the nsr device entry, you only change the name: to
rd=filer:nrst1a ndmp:yes and targe sessions:1 values,
on nsrjb.res I replaced the entry with the
/dev/rmt/Ncbn to rd=filer:nrst1a. I think that was
all.

I also had 12 drives or so to deal with, in a rather
messy DDS setup, so there were too many chances of
error on running nsrjb. The good thing about this way
is that you have your original res directory to fall
back onto :)

I don't know how necessary it is to stop services but
I did.

Even if you do run jbconf, do have a nice print! you
get awfully lost after the 3rd drive and answering the
same questions.

Shall we ask Legato for a jbedit??  ; )
the problem is that nsradmin does not let you edit the
name!

best regards,
Aure

> As far as I can tell, the only way to do this is to
delete the tape
> library resource and all the tape drive entries in
Legato, then recreate
> them with jbconfig, but that is an onerous task. I
am looking for a better
> way of taking a tape drive resource in Legato and
converting it to NDMP.