Networker

Re: [Networker] Exchange 2K Backups?

2003-08-21 15:37:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Exchange 2K Backups?
From: Scott Bingham <sbingham AT LEGATO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:37:03 -0700
[Resent because my first attempt, with all of the replies, was rejected by the
List as being longer than 500 lines long.]

Hello Brian,

Sorry -- this is not quite right.  *All* of the logfiles are backed up,
every time (full, copy, incr, or diff).  For full or copy, if Exchange
Server 2000 is SP2 or later, this will include logfiles created after
the backup started.  (Prior Exchange Server versions used "patch" files,
edb*.pat, which were backed up after the logfiles.)

The logfiles are truncated *after* the backup of the database and
logfiles are all finished, and not all of the old logfiles are always
deleted.  Some may still have data that has not been committed to the
database files, even after a full backup.  The streaming backup API
provides us with a list of which logfiles we can delete.

Hope that this helps,
_Scott