Networker

Re: [Networker] Auto Meida Management and Storage Nodes?

2003-08-21 12:47:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] Auto Meida Management and Storage Nodes?
From: Yura Pismerov <ypismerov AT TUCOWS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:47:09 -0400
Davina Treiber wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:05:56 -0400, Yura Pismerov <ypismerov AT TUCOWS DOT
> COM>
> wrote:
>
> >From my experience with AIT-2 tapes.
> >I did not deal with other types of media, but as for AIT-2 Networker
> >refuses (at least in my case) to label brand new tapes. It says
> >"exercise tape" or something like that.
> >Do I miss something ?
>
> That'll be "Looks like tapeexercise tape" I assume. tapexercise is a Legato
> utility that tests tape drives. It writes data to a tape in a particular
> format. nsrjb can recognise this, or sometimes data that looks similar, and
> this is why this message is displayed. A new tape should NOT give this
> message. I have never worked with AIT myself, but if you are seeing this I
> suggest you take it up with Legato.
>
> Nevertheless, "Looks like tapeexercise tape" should not prevent nsrjb from
> labelling a tape. You should always be able to force it to overwrite the
> tape in these circumstances.

        Yes, I know I can force it if I label a tape manually, but when
Networker labels the tapes automatically it does not force it, right ?
What it does instead, it unloads the tape, re-loads it and tries again,
then unloads it again, etc., and it continues doing that 20 times. Then
it gives up and marks the drive as faulty.
        Do you know how to add the -Y option to the automatic tape labeling
procedure ?
It would solve my problem.

> --

Yuri Pismerov, Sr. System Administrator,
TUCOWS.COM INC. (416) 535-0123  ext. 1352