Networker

Re: [Networker] Auto Meida Management and Storage Nodes?

2003-08-20 22:58:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Auto Meida Management and Storage Nodes?
From: Yura Pismerov <ypismerov AT TUCOWS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:58:29 -0400
Dan Freise wrote:

> Greetings all!
>
> We have an Overland Data library attached to a storage node. I would like
> to enable auto media management for this library so that it can autolabel
> tapes as part-time workers remove or replace tapes in our offsite storage
> rotation scenario. When I enable auto media management, Legato attempts to
> label a tape in the library but nothing happens. If I try by hand to run

What do you see in nsrwatch at that time ?
What is in the log files ?
Are the tapes new ? Brand new or never used with Legato tapes should be
erased - see /etc/LGTOuscsi/erase (man erase). Otherwise Legato won't
accept them (deliberately).

> the same nsrjb command, I get "nsrjb: error, No jukebox named
> `rd=storagenode:LXN_2200'." This is the same sort of thing I'd get if I
> tried to label a tape in a remote library from the Networker server.
> Typically I have to log into the storage node to do this.

That is correct.
Normally you login to the storage node and run nsrjb with -s server_name
-j jukebox_name.
There is way to control it from the server by using nsrexec. It might be
useful for scripting purposes. See
http://www.backupcentral.com/foms/networker-serve/cache/170.html for
details.