Networker

[Networker] Summary: Power Edition vs Network Edition

2003-08-19 18:03:53
Subject: [Networker] Summary: Power Edition vs Network Edition
From: Craig Ruefenacht <Craig.Ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:01:43 -0600
Hi,

My original question about Power Edition vs. Network Edition had to do with
licensing and whether the binaries for the two were in fact the same.
Thanks to the many posts which explained my answer, as well as provided some
insight into the difference between the two.  Documentation on Power Edition
seems to be lacking.

The upshot of this thread was:

1. Network Edition and Power Edition are in fact the same binary, at least
from v6.0 onward.

2. What version you run is based on your enabler codes.  We have a Network
Edition enabler code (and always have had that enabler code).  When I
upgraded from Networker v6.1 to v6.1.3, I didn't change the enabler codes.
Prior to the upgrade, nwadmin said that we were running Power Edition.
After the upgrade nwadmin said we were running Network Edition.  Thanks to
Davina Treiber who mentioned a case where a customer had a Networker Network
Edition enabler code and all, but Networker identified itself as Power
Edition.  It would appear that I had the same situation when running v6.1.
We never purchased Power Edition, but for some unknown reason, our v6.1
install said it was Power Edition.  Upgrading to v6.1.3 seemed to have fixed
whatever identity crisis Networker was experiencing.

3. Power Edition seems to be mostly useful when backing up data that is on
the same machine as the Networker Server itself.  The advantage is that
Power Edition seems to skip the TCP/IP stack (going to localhost), which
enables it to have better performance.  In our situation, that would be
beneficial to us in about 1/4 of our backups, but the current speed of
Networker Network Edition is sufficient for us to not justify the cost of
Power Edition (someone mentioned $22,000).

Craig Ruefenacht
UNIX Systems Administrator
USANA Health Sciences, Inc.
http://www.usanahealthsciences.com