Networker

[Networker] Immediate reporting of client-level backup failures

2003-08-14 17:54:02
Subject: [Networker] Immediate reporting of client-level backup failures
From: John Hope-Bailie <johnhb AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 00:01:55 +0200
Good-day all,

We have a requirement in which rapid response is required to failed client
backups.

The current approach using email/pager notifications linked to savegroup
completion events is not working well enough.

There are hundreds of clients in about 10 groups, so the groups often run
for 12 hours (or more).

The savegroup notification is only issued when the savegroup finally ends.

If a client fails early on,  this would typically only be reported say 10
hours later.

This is too late to investigate and fix the client problem during the backup
window.

We have been advised to try the "owner notification" feature which is
configurable per client.

Functionally, this is better, but I seem to recall that this too, is only
issued when the entire savegroup completes.

Question

Has anyone been faced with this requirement to take immediate corrective
action to failed client backups during the backup window ?

If so, how did you arrange per/client failure notifications in real time ?

I suppose it might be possible to hook into the save  processes on the
client itself and work from there ?

Has anyone tried anything like this ?

regards,

John Hope-Bailie