Networker

[Networker] Cluster Storage Nodes (MSCS technologie)

2003-08-13 14:41:27
Subject: [Networker] Cluster Storage Nodes (MSCS technologie)
From: Christophe MOUY <cmouy AT A2P DOT FR>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:42:13 +0200
Hello,

I have a serious problem to implement the backup solution on a cluster
MSCS... with 6.2 version of NSR

The cluster is composed of :
- Two physical nodes called A and B
- Two virtual ressources called C and D, C belongs to A and D belongs to
B (when i've made the installation)
This is a active-active cluster so the virtual ressources can be either
on each nodes or on one node (bad production)

In networker, i set four client as below :
- client A with A as "storage node"
- client B with B as "storage node"
- client "virtual" C with A as storage node primary and B as storage
node secondary
- client "virtual" D with B as storage node primary and A as storage
node secondary
This configuration has worked fine for one week until a virtual
ressource moves...

Now the configuration of my customer is :
- C and D belongs to B
There is no problem with the backup of D which allocate the right drive
(on B) but the backup of C allocate a drive on A  and this is my great
problem :(

I've tried to set :
- client "virtual" C with C as storage node but it doesn't work
-  client "virtual" C with C as storage node but it doesn't work

The customer has a full Windows environment and i'm poor in scripting in
this environment :(
Can anyone help me ? To change the configuration of NetWorker or some
clues to write a script ;)

Another information :

Example :
Before my backup, C belongs to A and D belongs to B. The backup works
fine until a probleme on the cluster and C belongs now to D. The backup
retries (normal i set it with 1 retry after 15 minutes) and allocates
again A (because of active-active cluster, the virtual ressource ain't
set on ONE node but can be belonged by the two nodes) although the C
ressource belongs to B. I know that with the parameters set as in my
first post, it's the right action. But i wonder if there is a
possibility to check the owner of the virtual ressource before launch
the backup and select the right storage node ?

At this momemnt, i'm working on the creation of two NSR clients files
(i'm on NSR 6.2) and wonder if I can match the right file (SN A or SN B)
after asking the cluster administrator to know who has the virtual ressource

THX for you help :)