Networker

Re: [Networker] Legato attempting to mount nonexistent tapes

2003-08-13 11:55:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Legato attempting to mount nonexistent tapes
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:55:17 -0400
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:51:49 -0400, Dan Freise <dan AT RIVENDELL.USG.UNT DOT

wrote:

>Has anyone else seen this:
>
>Legato has tried to mount a volume named "-" for the last couple of nights,
>and it's caused our backups to hang waiting for it. Today I deleted the
>media index entry which somehow got created for this volume, which was a
>never-been-labeled tape located in our library. I don't know how this media
>entry got there, but we had a similar situation last week wherein Legato
>tried to mount a volume from one library into a drive in another library,
>also causing backups to hang.
>
>I've run nsrck level 5 and nsrim -X repeatedly trying to straighten this
>out, but I'm worried that I'm missing the cause and that it'll just come
>back.
>
>Any info will be greatly appreciated!

You're not missing the cause - it's a bug. I've seen this happen, and it
caused absolute havoc on a busy server - basically wrote off the backups
for the whole night. You've done the right thing to get things working
again, but there's nothing to stop it happening again. Raise a call with
Legato. Out of interest, what version are you running? I saw this with
6.1.1 on Solaris.