Networker

Re: [Networker] nsrclone problems

2003-08-06 12:35:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsrclone problems
From: Frank Altpeter <f.altpeter AT BROADNET-MEDIASCAPE DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 18:35:21 +0200
Hello!

Altpeter, Frank (2nd Level Systeme) wrote on 2003-08-04 17:42:12 +0200:
> hi there,
>
> Perhaps i've overseen something, but this behaviour looks a little
> bit strange to me:
Yes, i've indeed overseen something... shame on me ... :-))

First, i didn't know that nsrclone does internally launch one
process for each volume to be cloned. This resulting in one error
for each volume was indeed strange, but  a logical one for my
problem.

Some time ago, i was testing with the ADIC library on different
hardware platform, which means that there were two 'clone storage
node' entries in the server's client definition.

So, nsrclone was cloning the savesets from the first tape in its
list to the first storage node in the client list, and tried to
clone the savesets from the next tape to the next storage node in
the list - wich didn't exist.

I think, if NetWorker would launch a little bit more human readable
error messages, this problem wouldn't have happened.

> Starting cloning operation...
>   ...from storage node: r2d2
> nsrclone: error, busy
> nsrclone: Cannot open nsrclone session with r2d2
> nsrclone: Failed to clone any save sets

Many thanks to Legato for having such an error message on the fact
that the clone storage node hostname wasn't reachable.

With kind regards,

        Frank Altpeter