Networker

[Networker] NWRestore taking FOREVER to complete???

2003-08-01 10:25:59
Subject: [Networker] NWRestore taking FOREVER to complete???
From: Les Yaw <yawles AT LUTHER DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:17:49 -0500
ENVIRONMENT:

STORAGE NODE:
Legato Neworker 6.1.3 running on a dual Xeon processor SuperMicro server,
RedHat 7.3
100 mb NIC - Full duplex
dual Overland LibraryPro (Sony 700 AIT-3) jukeboxes
small block sizes, as we are not using an STINIT.DEF file just yet.  Plan
to get that implemented as soon as life returns to normal when this
server's restored.  Block size is 512

Restoring:
Novell Netware 4.12 running on a single processor HP LPr Server,
with a Cybernetics SCSI RAID array -
100 mb NIC - Full duplex
Using Networker 4.21 client

TWO QUESTIONS:

1st Q - The Novell server crashed and burned two weeks ago - lost a
RAID.  We have three volumes, total capacity of 51 gigs in three volumes,
but not all that space is used, that's what we're restoring.  The restore
began yesterday at about 2:30 p.m. (some 19 hours later), and is still
running!  My NWAdmin screen shows I've only restored 6.7 of 15 Gigs!!!

There's data going to the new server, we can watch files and directories
being restored, with the proper ownership rights...  We restored from data
that was backed up to a laptop something over 3 gigs of space, which took
15 minutes max to copy.

WHY is it sooooooo slow?  Is this related to the block size, slowing down
the tape access/read?

2nd Q - Our Novell consultant advised the server abended recently due to
what they determined to be a memory leak in the Networker Netware 4.21
client we're using.  They recommend we reboot the Novell server quarterly
to avoid the problem.

HAS ANYONE else heard of a memory leak in this Networker Netware 4.21 client?

Thank you in advance,

Les Yaw
Luther College
Decorah, IA