Networker

Re: [Networker] Power Edition vs Network Edition

2003-07-29 10:56:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Power Edition vs Network Edition
From: Librado Pamintuan <LPAMINTU AT REGINA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:56:14 -0600
Good morning,
I made an inquiry from Legato about this a few months ago.
According to Legato, the main difference between Networker Power and
Network Edition is the Server Parallelism.
Network Edition has a maximum of 32 and Power Edition has a maximum of
64 save streams.
We have the Network Edition and 6 DLT 7000 tape drives on our tape
library, that's why each drive is limited only to 5 save streams (5 x 6
= 30).
The pricing is also different, because I want to maximize the tape
drives, I inquired how much will it cost to upgrade to Power Edition,
the upgrade cost is $ 22,000.00 (CAN) and subsequently there will be an
increase on our software/technical support contract.

Librado Pamintuan
Technical Support Analyst II
Information Systems Dep.
Operations Group
City of Regina

Phone:          (306) 777-7573
General Fax: (306) 777-6804
eFax:             (306) 546-6002
eMail:            lpamintu AT regina DOT ca

Craig Ruefenacht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few months ago I upgraded our Networker v6.1 server to 6.1.3.   The
server
> OS is HP-UX 11i.
>
> Prior to upgrade, the nwadmin GUI said we had Networker Power
Edition.
> After the upgrade, it says we have Networker Network Edition (v6.1.3
build
> 428).  I upgraded using the media that Legato sent us on our
software
> maintenance.  I haven't noted any big differences in speed as far as
> backups/restores using the Network Edition (I've read the little
> documentation there is about the difference between Power Edition
and
> Network Edition as well).
>
> My question is, is Networker Power Edition server on different media
than
> Networker Network Edition, and, does the license for each cost
different?
> It would appear that they use the same enabler code, since I went
from a
> Power Edition (v6.1) to a Network Edition (v6.1.3) without having to
obtain
> any updated enabler codes.  I've been unable to get a clear answer
from our
> reseller or Legato on this.  We are trying to reconcile our Legato
licences
> and I'm trying to figure out if we are using a more expensive license
(for
> Power Edition) for a cheaper product (Network Edition).

The binaries are the same whichever edition you are using. The only
exception to this was pre-6.0 when there was a separate nsrd binary
for
Enterprise Edition, and this was only because the licensing worked
differently.

If you are using all the same enabler codes, then the edition should
be
the same. It is perplexing that it is not. My question to you would
be,
did you ever actually buy Power Edition and do you pay maintenance
based
on Power Edition? The reason I ask is that I have seen a situation
where
a server is using an enabler that in theory was not PE, but it did in
fact identify itself as PE. The customer had never bought PE. I don't
know whether or not it enabled PE features such as immediate saves.
What
I am suggesting is that this was a bug that erroneously identified PE,
and perhaps this has now been fixed in 6.1.3. Could this theory fit in
your case?

--
Note: To sign off this list, send a "signoff networker" command via
email