Networker

Re: [Networker] clustered storage nodes installation

2003-06-30 05:51:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] clustered storage nodes installation
From: Carolina Garcia Santacruz <carolina.garcia.santacruz AT PROACT DOT DK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:34:22 +0200
Aure,

Regarding the SCSI reserve release issue, you find it in the release notes
from 6.1 (and up), page 21:
"Bus Reset Can Rewind Tape on Devices Shared by Multiple Computers"

I think it is important that you read it and take it into consideration. You
are going to share your tape drive with at least another server, plus you
are carrying SCSI commands for your disks from the same HBA. One important
line there is that Microsoft does not support attaching any tape drive
to any shared SCSI bus that also hosts cluster-controlled disks.

Some tape devices (IBMs LTO at least) include this control and the rest are
planning on implementing it. SCSI 3 definition will include it. Some OS can
handle it --not MicroSoft AFAIK--. The patch I mentioned will prevent the
tapes from being overwritten, but does not work on the problem itself. I
don't see it as something that should stop you, but take some preventive
action.

Hope this helps,
Carolina