Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.0 Experience

2003-06-27 15:13:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.0 Experience
From: "Reed, Ted G II [ITS]" <ted.reed AT MAIL.SPRINT DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:12:26 -0500
George,
Regarding 2 quotes from below:

>The end result is that the old NetWorker will not scale well.  It is
>fine as a departmental backup system, but when you try to push it for
>use as an enterprise backup system it will hit a performance wall.  The
>obvious solution to this would be to use faster CPU's in your server.
>Unfortunately this is a limited solution; there is a limit to how far
>you can overclock a 3 GHz CPU.
>In the new implementation the resource database is preserved on disk as
>a large number of very small files, one per resource.  Every time an
>attribute is changed only the one resource file is written out.  Since
>these files are so small there is a lot less work involved in updating
>them.  This effectively solves this problem for quite some time.

How many clients were you running that a 3GHz processor had issues?  I have 500
on a 4x400MHz Sun master with two e4500 storage nodes.  In that environment,
one cpu is pegged about 22 hours a day and nsrd is VERY much our performance
bottleneck.  Do you have any thoughts about how much (percentage) the load
dropped after moving to 7.x and the more efficient DB style?

>For those that are curious: in NSR7 the resources are still stored in
>text form, just like in the old nsr.res, but one resource per file.
>When you first start it the resource database is automatically
>converted to the new format.  There are no tools provided to convert
>back.  This is why this upgrade is stated to be one-way only.  [text removed]

I remember the 5.x to 6.x conversion being painfully long, particularly in the
client data updates on the master (nsr.res and indexes).  What was your feel
for how long it took to convert X number of clients?

Thanks,
Ted