Networker

Re: [Networker] A time to choose

2003-06-27 11:20:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] A time to choose
From: Stan Sander <ssande AT SANDIA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:20:13 -0600
Maarten Boot (CWEU-USERS/CWNL) wrote:

Dear Networkers,

Currently we use DLT7000 drives and are looking into choosing a new generation
of media. Obvious choices are LTO SDLT and AIT. The idea is to slowly start
moving one of our pools. Others will follow as we buy more drives.

Backup server Solaris 8 / E450 / 2 400 Mhz cpu / 1Gb mem

Our backup rate is approx 400 Gb per night  over 350 clients both servers and
desktops. Network infra structure is 1G backbone , most desktops and all
servers 100 FD.

Currently no capacity problems on the server side as the network cannot
deliver more data than the server or the tapes can handle.

Experiences with interoperability of LTO (drives by diiferent vendors) would
be nice.

We do see that AIT is cheaper, but heard stories of increased head-wear due to
helical scan technique.

The plan is to do backups to disk first and then spool them to tape.

Any ideas are welcome,

Maarten

Since you didn't mention what kind of jukebox hardware you have, it may
not ben an option, but have you considered the Storage Tek 9940B drive?
We are in the process of a transition from DLT7000 and 8000 with some
being migrated to 9940B, while others have chosen the SDLT.  We also
have some 9840 and first generation 9940 drives across the site as well.
Of those that have moved to either the SDLT or 9940B, both of these
have performed well.  We have some smaller pockets with much lighter
loads that use AIT, but with less success.  Don't know of any LTO.  As
for me, I'm migrating to 9940B later this summer/early fall.  Hope this
helps.

--
Stan Sander - CSU Special Projects
Unix Systems/Server Administrator