Networker

Re: [Networker] restricting access via nwadmin / networker administrator

2003-06-27 09:00:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] restricting access via nwadmin / networker administrator
From: Frank Altpeter <f.altpeter AT BROADNET-MEDIASCAPE DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:00:30 +0200
Hello!

Shaun Ellis wrote on 2003-06-26 08:21:09 -0700:

>    Frank,
>
>    NetWorker 7.1, targeted for Q3 2003, will have this capability if used
>    with NetWorker Management Console 3.1, targeted for Q1 2004. NetWorker
>    7.0 goes a little way in that you can have two access control groups,
>    Users and Administrators.
>
>    If you had been using NetWorker 6 on any platform, other than Linux,
>    we would have had a solution using NetWorker Operations.
Well, neither waiting for 7.1 nor buying an upgrade to 7.0 just for
the restriction feature is currently no option for my company.
Perhaps we would, if there were better prices, but it's not my
responsibility to decide ...

I've checked the used ports to find the following:

nsrindexd       9092/tcp
nsrexecd        7937/tcp
nsrexecd        7938/tcp
nsrmmdbd        9851/tcp
nsrmmd          7941/tcp
nsrmmd          8423/tcp
nsrmmd          8835/tcp
nsrmmd          9470/tcp
nsrmmd          9530/tcp
nsrmmd          9553/tcp
nsrd            8045/tcp

I hope these are complete, since i wasn't able to find these
information in any documentation.

nwadmin runs via nsrd port, and an mminfo process is first
connecting to nsrd and afterwards talking with nsrmmdbd ... but i'm
still unsure wich ports can safely blocked to restrict access to
information for unprivileged systems without disabling backup.

Any pointer on a good documentation appreciated :)

With kind regards,

        Frank Altpeter