Networker

Re: [Networker] A time to choose

2003-06-27 07:57:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] A time to choose
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:57:43 +0200
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Maarten Boot (CWEU-USERS/CWNL) wrote:

MBC> Currently we use DLT7000 drives and are looking into choosing a new
generation
MBC> of media. Obvious choices are LTO SDLT and AIT. The idea is to slowly start
MBC> moving one of our pools. Others will follow as we buy more drives.
MBC> Backup server Solaris 8 / E450 / 2 400 Mhz cpu / 1Gb mem

Get one or two more CPUs to handle the I/O. Such CPUs can be found on ebay
for less than $1000 nowdays.

MBC> Our backup rate is approx 400 Gb per night  over 350 clients both servers
and
MBC> desktops. Network infra structure is 1G backbone , most desktops and all
MBC> servers 100 FD.

Seems similar to our design as well, although we have a gigabit ethernet
fiber adapter in the backup server. If you have suns gigabit card, ensure
to apply the latest patch for it in the OS, since there are several bugs
fixed and also some performance improvements. The patch isn't included in
the patchcluster, instead you must download it from sunsolve, using a
sunsolve account. Such accounts are fairly easy to find. If not, email me
the patch number and I will download it for you. Sorry, but I can't seem
to remember the patch number.

Note that this might not be the case anymore, since I did this myself
about a year ago.

MBC> Currently no capacity problems on the server side as the network cannot
MBC> deliver more data than the server or the tapes can handle.

Hm, have you considered the bus speed as well? Have you tweaked TCP window
sizes and such?

MBC> We do see that AIT is cheaper, but heard stories of increased head-wear
due to
MBC> helical scan technique.
MBC>
MBC> The plan is to do backups to disk first and then spool them to tape.

AIT is a very reliable technology. The tapes hardly never wear down.
Drives seldom fail either. That's first-hand experience. I have also heard
stories that DLT drives break down 8 times as often as AIT drives. It
seems fair, compared to what I have seen.

//Oscar