Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.0 Experience

2003-06-24 12:50:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.0 Experience
From: "Shelley L. Shostak" <sls AT QSTECH DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:50:40 -0700
On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Joel Fisher wrote:

> Subject: [Networker] 7.0 Experience
>

> Hey All,
>

> I'd like to hear some feedback from people with 7.0 in production.
> Comments on stability, bugs, upgrade process.  I'll be looking at
> upgrading several months down the road, and will probably ask again, but
> I'd like to hear what the current feelings are about the new release.

sls@nickel% uname -a
Linux nickel 2.4.18-17.7.x #1 Tue Oct 8 11:34:32 EDT 2002 i686 unknown
sls@nickel% cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)
sls@nickel%

I upgraded from 6.1.3.  No problems doing the upgrade other than the rpm had a
dependency on /bin/ksh.  I ignored the dependency and it installed OK.

I was having no problems before I upgraded and now I am having a slew of
problems.  I cannot clone an MS SQL saveset.  The box hangs when it mounts the
tape.  I don't know if it is something about that tape or the saveset, but
today I hope to have time to figure out what is happening.  And there are no
hints in the logs.  I guess I need to trace all of the nsr processes to see
what is going on when the box hangs.  Of course, it *could* be a hardware
problem and be coincidental, but somehow I doubt it.  And the box has hung
several other times when doing tape control.

Unfortunately, there is no going back.

*sigh*

Shelley