Networker

Re: [Networker] How do I minimize recovery time?

2003-06-18 19:10:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] How do I minimize recovery time?
From: "Thomas, Calvin" <calvin.thomas AT NACALOGISTICS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:10:30 -0700
I use Legato 7.0, but all my testing was on 6.1 on Tru64 5.1A on a Alpha
4100.
If your recovery takes longer than your backup it is one of two things.
1. You are not recovering all save sets in parallel off of the tape, and it
is running the tape through more than one time.
2. You disk devices are much slower at writing than they are at reading
(typical)

for 1. above, make SURE you select all data off of one tape so it doesn't
have to read the tape, rewind and then run through it a second time.
for 2. above, do a basic single LARGE file test backup(say 1GB or so).  Back
it up to tape as a single file, restore it from tape as a single file.
Compare the speed of backup against speed of restore.  They should be the
same.  If not, investigate the write configuration of your disk drives. IE,
a RAID 5 is much slower writing than reading.  If this is the problem, you
can't fix it without buying (expensive) hardware.  You can verify the speed
issue by running this same test against a single hard drive, and comparing
the two.