Networker

[Networker] Friday the 13th strikes!

2003-06-13 13:00:53
Subject: [Networker] Friday the 13th strikes!
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:00:49 -0500
I need to do a restore, and I don't trust one of my tapes.  I've never
been in this scenario before, so I'm not sure the best way to proceed.

Here's the background.  Last weekend we took a monthly (level 3) backup.
This week, one of our tape drives died with a monthly pool tape in it.
The service engineers for our tape library came out and removed the tape
and replaced the drive.  (That completed this morning.)  When I placed
the freed tape back into the jukebox and reinventoried the slots,
Networker doesn't identify it anymore.  It's showing up as an unlabeled
tape.  I noticed this about an hour ago and already started planning
another monthly backup for the clients who had data on this tape.  No
"big" deal.

Then I get a call for an emergency restore which (you guessed it,) would
require this questionable tape.

So I have full/monthly/incrementals leading up to 6/7/03, then the bad
monthly tape on 6/8, and then incrementals off that up to today.

What's the best way to restore this?  How do I recover incrementals if
the tape they rely on is unavailable?  Do I mark the tape or savesets as
suspect and Networker copes?  Or do a series of saveset recovers for the
last few incremental backups?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks,

Dave